Thursday, August 24, 2006

Live from Harare

One funny thing about living in a country with no free press is that they still issue news papers and as they still have to fill the papers with something, but can not write about the important things, they write about things that probably never would make it to the front pages in another country. Some of my friends had the pleasure of receiving aricles I clipped from China Daily and sent when I was in Shanghai. Here we have The Herald and yesterday they had a story on the front page about a “Lonely Granny comits suicide”. The story was about a 75 years old lady who had hung herself. The reason stated for the suicide was that she had failed to find a man to marry. I think it is wonderful! Not that she killed herself and not that she could not find a man, but that she kept the hope of finding one till she got 75! Come on! Don't give up hope! Not even at 75!!!

Another less funny thing about living in the tropics are all the bugs and insects that are around. I have just been informed about the necessity of ironing all clothes after drying them in the sun. If you don’t you might have mango flies who lay their eggs in your clothes and they hatch into little worms that crawls in under your skin to grow there until they come out from your skin by themselves, or maybe it is the flies who hide in your clothes and lay egg under you skin, what ever. Just heard about a guy who stayed in a lodge where they hadn’t ironed the sheets. He got 42 worms! I am sure, I will die if I get one!

No comments: