Thursday, September 28, 2006

Problems of the developed world

I have now been back in Sweden two days and already feel terribly restless. But I will have to start get my life going again. New challenges wait around every corner! Or..?? Not..??

Being back I have confirmed something I have been suspecting for some time. For the first time in my adult life I have gained weight!! Not too many kilos but I feel really bad about it. Not about the kilos themselves, they will soon go away once I am back to normal life, but I feel sincerely bad about gaining weight in an extremely poor country!

But maybe that is symptomatic. If overweight is a welfare problem of the developed world it is telling that I gain weight when I am relatively rich. It is not as if I cannot afford to eat in Sweden, but what I think makes the difference, is that in Sweden I walk much more and thereby get more exercise without thinking of it. In Harare I always drove a car wherever I went. In Sweden I don’t afford having a car but take the train, bus or underground, which automatically mean I have to walk more. And in Harare people always said it is not safe to walk, so, hence the extra kilos.

I went jogging yesterday and I was hoping that I would feel very light and fit after having had some high altitude training (Harare is on 1500 m), but shame on me… I felt very unfit. Now I will have to go to town and buy new jogging shoes, the old ones I left in Harare. I am sure that will make the jogging feel much easier..:-)

No comments: