Saturday, November 04, 2006

Climatic travels

Last week I made a short guest appearance at Circus Belgrade again. It was good fun to see all the old friends and familiar (and new) places. Unfortunately a party-induced cold prevented me from fulfilling my promise to get very drunk, behave badly and cause a scandal before I went back, but nevertheless it was fun. Worse even was that the cold made me stop the running at Ada, before finishing the whole lap! I am sorry, Wout! That will never happen again! (What was your excuse Sepp?)

What did not improve my health situation was the climatic travelling this trip also meant. Having recently come from Africa to Sweden I had barely got myself adjusted to the cool autumn temperatures when I landed in a sunny Belgrade and 27 degrees. Guess whether the winter clothes I brought felt appropriate or not!

During my stay there it got a bit colder, but that still didn’t prepare me for what I met coming back to Sweden again. Snowstorm with bad traffic chaos! I wasn’t the only one however that was taken by surprise. It is funny, but in a country that every year suffers long, cold winters with lot of snow, people and authorities are still taken by surprise when the snow comes. This time I understand that the meteorologists had even said it would come now. We used to laugh at reports of snow in countries like Spain or Italy, where two centimetres of snow caused chaos and complete standstill, but we are almost there too now!

No comments: