Thursday, April 19, 2007

The mad traveller

I think I now have had the confirmation I needed to realise I am really seriously crazy. During this time I have been working and travelling professionally abroad I have found myself to be very open about the destinations. I have felt I could really go anywhere. I am not so governed about what might be the safest, most profitable, most prestigious or most pleasant place to go, I am just curious about new places to see. There has really only been one place where I always said I would not go (among the countries where Sweden has embassies) and that was Abuja, Nigeria. I know people who have worked there and from their stories I always said; no way, I am not going there!
However, yesterday I was asked if I could take an embassy posting over the whole summer; guess where! Of course in Abuja! Then I noticed my immediate reaction was not; “No way, I am not going there”. But rather; “Hmmm, maybe that would be interesting, maybe I should go there.” And then I realised I would not have been me if I had thought otherwise. That is simply me!
Fortunately I will most probably not be able to accept the offer because I think I will have other things to do, and sometimes I can be sensible, but it would be interesting…

No comments: