Sunday, March 30, 2008

Travelling from the Couch

I have just done something I very rarely (never?) do. I have just re-read a book.
When I was at my parent’s place for Easter I found Åsne Seinerstads book The Bookseller of Kabul. I read it when it was quite new and liked it. At that time of course I never knew I would go to Afghanistan, even though I have always wanted to travel to that part of the world. Now I thought it could be interesting to read the book again, after having been there myself. It was. It definitely gave another dimension to it. I recognised a lot of the things, places and situations she described. But I could also better understand something else. The author has been criticised for the way she treated the family in the book; for putting words and thoughts in their mind that she could not know about etc. That is also something that I have been thinking about when writing on my blog. Of course my blog is not by far read by as many people as her books, and my blog is mostly for showing friends and family what I am up to, but as anyone can go in there, I still have tried to show respect and to be careful when choosing the pictures to post and about not mentioning names and sites etc. That is one of the reasons I did not post any of the pictures that I took at my driver’s home and the reason I haven’t given his full name etc.

The movie based on the book The Kite Runner went up on cinemas in Sweden this weekend. I liked the book and think I would like to see the film, but still I am afraid to get disappointed. I am afraid the feeling and atmosphere I got when reading the book will be difficult to capture in a film. And the trailers I have seen on it has seemed a bit “flat” to me. But maybe I will still have to see it. Anyone who has seen it and can recommend or comment on it?!

No comments: