Saturday, June 28, 2008

Girl Power

Another thought that struck me just before leaving Kabul was that I think Afghanistan would be better off if their women had more power. Of cause this is a general opinion of mine, but I believe it is even more valid in Afghanistan. At the airport you have to go through countless bag and body searches. Most of them are completely inefficient, but still you just have to let them do it. And as it impossible that a man should body search a woman or even see anyone do it there is often a small shed where the women go in to get searched. And whereas the men got more and more upset after each search and said they were more and more annoyed by the ruthless and unfriendliness of the officers, I had the completely opposite experience. At the first shed the woman referred to me as “sister”. Later I was offered watermelon and got some compliments for my bracelet and some new dari words. Therefore I believe the women are more compassionate and friendly and would have a very positive influence on the politics.

And anyway, I just had another proof of that men are completely impossible to understand. Completely unreliable and irrational…

No comments: