Thursday, June 16, 2011

Brazilian Airports

Since I arrived in Brazil I have heard and read a lot about the worries that the Brazilian airports are not fit for the big upcoming international events (world cup 2014 and Olympics in Rio 2016). This is something both the international community talks about as well as the Brazilians themselves. The government is also worried and therefore recently decided to not abide by the normal tendering rules. If that will work I don't know. Some say it will only increase risk of corruption, which most likely is already high. I can not make any judgement about airport security but after spending some time at some airports I can admit that the impression is that they are small, old fashioned and inefficient. It is hard to imagine them handling a far greater number of travellers. Let's see if the new rules will get the physical infrastructure on track, but I wonder what they will do about the human capital. Some are just incredibly slow and inefficient and the level of knowledge of other languages very low even at international airports. I think that might be a problem too.

No comments: