Saturday, June 04, 2011

View of Brasilia

Maybe I am starting to get a picture of how the Brazilians (that is the ones not living in Brasilia) see their capital. For the first time since I came here I am out of the town and talk to people not connected through work. When I say I live in Brasilia there is always an "ahhh, you work for the government." Not regarding the comic side of I that someone speaking as little Portuguese as I should work for the government I think it shows very clearly how they look upon their capital as nothing more than the site of government and find it hard to see any other reason to live there. It is so different from any other capital I have been living in. I have to ask my new Australian friend if that it is the same reaction if she meets someone from Canberra.

No comments: