Thursday, February 21, 2008

Serbian Chaos

Just saw the pictures from the huge demonstration in Belgrade. Saw how people managed to break in to the US Embassy and even set fire to one of the offices. The whole street outside the embassy was completely covered with people. It felt very strange! The street is one of the main arteries in Belgrade and it was my way to work every day for a year, and I passed there on my way to tennis, to the horseback riding, to the jogging, to the beach, to the airport and, yeah almost everywhere I went I passed there.

Of course the happenings came as no surprise. Everyone knew this could/would happen as Kosovo declared independence and the demonstration was announced in advance. And I have seen many pictures from big and sometimes violent demonstrations from Belgrade before, but the year I lived there it was very peaceful and it was one of the happiest in my life. Therefore it feels so strange and so sad. The whole situation is so sad. I am sad for Serbia. Not for losing Kosovo, but for making so many wrong choices, take the wrong turn at so many crossings and for putting itself in impossible situations.

No comments: