Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The News and the Reality

It is quite a strange situation to sit here in Kabul and hear the news about the violence in the southern part of the country. There are the hundreds of imprisoned Taliban that escaped prison in Kandahar the other day and there are the Afghan and international forces stepping up their offensive on Taliban strongholds to the level it almost sounds as outright war and there are news about people fleeing their homes in fear of the fighting. And here I sit in the capitol and it feels absolutely calm and safe. I was not nervous or afraid in March when I was here, but I felt the atmosphere was tenser then, now it feels more relaxed. This time I have not visited so many UN-organisations as last time, which might be one of the reasons why I find the situation more relaxed than last time. I haven’t had to pass as many as rigorous security checks and have met less nervous international staff.

I know it can be very deceptive. There have obviously been more serious rumours about attacks against Serena again, but here I sit looking out my window over the sun setting and casting a beautiful light over the hills. All I hear through my open window is the hum of the generator, some birds and in the distance the sounds of the city.

Tomorrow we are leaving for Mazar again and we will have to leave rather early which is not very great. As movements early in the morning is normally recommended to avoid. And the road to the airport is of cause a strategic target. But I am sure it will be no problem. This time we won’t be staying in the camp in Mazar, which is good. That means we will be able to see some of the city and hopefully we will also be able to go on some visit to the field.

No comments: