Wednesday, August 13, 2008

"Fighting" the Bulls??

When I arrived at Mallorca some of my friends who were already there had arranged tickets to the Corrida for that evening’s bull fighting. I had never thought I would go to see one as I always have felt it is a cruel and senseless “sport”, but as I now was given the opportunity and also am of the opinion you should try things if you get a chance, to be able to really know what to think of it; I joined. It was some excitement in the air around the arena and there was also some demonstrations outside it. When we walked pas the demonstrators I almost felt guilty and thought that I would have actually held it more likely that I should have been demonstrating outside than go in to watch the fight.

However, we went in and there was a quite exciting atmosphere and the arena was very beautiful and we were all rather excited and almost a bit nervous, at least those of us who had not seen bull fighting before. Then it all started!

I think the first game got us all a bit chocked. Well maybe I can not say that I was really chocked. I mean I grew up on a farm and saw animals being slaughtered already as a small child, so I have seen animals die and have seen lots of blood etc. But then it was always a matter of trying to make it as quick and painless as possible for the animal. It was quite a different thing to watch people trying to extend it and make it into some kind of game and torture of the poor animal and then finally kill it in a very disrespectful way. I found that very hard to digest.

Of course I can not see all the fine details of the moves and gestures the toreador is performing in the arena, but I must anyway say that I can not see that it should be such a manly thing full of bravery. I mean; when the toreador finally gets on his own with the bull, scores of assistants, picadors and banderilleros have already done their best to tire the animal as well as empty it on blood so it is by then almost half-dead.

No I must say this is no “sport” for me. After the first bull, five more met their fate in the ring that night and I must say, in the end it got only boring and tedious. There is no real excitement or surprise in the game as you know the outcome of the game; the bull will die in the end.

I agree with my gay friend who I was sitting next to, the greatest attraction of the evening was watching the toreadors butts in their tight pants…



The toreadors and their cuadrillas enter the stage with a lot of tamtam. But my gay friend said the outfits and the toreador's pink stockings reminded him more of a Gay pride parade.



I cheered for the bull!!



The picador at work. I felt sorry not only for the bull, but also for the horse.



Then finally, when the bull ist almost alredy half dead the toreador is starting his show. Chicken!!



This one he did not manage to kill by the first cut, nor the second...

Well; apart from watching the asses of the toreadors it was quite interesting to learn to waths and learn the circumstances around the game. That the audience waves their white handkerichiefs if they are happy wiht the performance of the toreador and then the mayor gets to decide if he was good enough to get one or maybe even two ears of the bull. Fabulous trophy!!

No comments: