Sunday, January 23, 2011

Dancing in the Streets

My feet are killing me! Last night’s dancing in the streets in Lapa was a killer for my poor feet. But oh so fun! A part of the city that during daytime is almost completely deserted and very rundown gets a totally different life during night. Bars and clubs open up in the old, very beautiful but derelict houses and everywhere in the streets there are music and drinks and people dance everywhere. People are very open and friendly and come up to talk and dance with you. I also got some free samba lessons. In a crowded place like this there are of course a lot of pickpockets. For the first time I had someone trying to steal out of my pocket. Unfortunately for him my pockets were not so easy to steal from and I felt something and hit is hand, then he walked on as if nothing happened.

Another first thing was having someone hitting on me as part of a couple. If someone asked, I and my friend said we are together, just because it was easier that way. But at some point my friend spotted a man he liked and started flirting with him. He was really not my kind and I was busy learning samba. Therefore I was quite surprised when the man came up to me and started trying to get my attention and even tried to touch me. My friend told me the man had asked if we would like to have a threesome. None of us was very interested. But we had a good laugh.

Thinking of it there has been many first times these days. Today at the beach one of the old ladies selling drinks etc at the beach was apparently also flirting with me. At least I think so; it was quite difficult to know exactly what was going on as we didn’t seem to understand one single word the other said. Some young boys started helping her communicating with me but as their English vocabulary was even smaller than my Portuguese it wasn’t very successful.
Today was also the first day I saw a perfect sunset at the beach where everyone stood up and clapped hands as the sun set, thanking for another day at the beach. Nice!!

I would have loved to post some pictures from the beach and have some at all from last night in Lapa, but it is difficult to bring the camera everywhere. Pickpockets are abundant and therefore I try to avoid bringing more than is absolutely necessary. But I will have to go back some day during daytime and get some pictures. Unfortunately I didn’t bring the camera with me when we went to Makumba beach yesterday either, which was a pity as it was one of the most beautiful beaches I ever seen.

We should have gone to a samba school today, but it was cancelled. Even though that would have been so fun I think it was good in a way. I believe my feet need to rest a bit and maybe me to. It got really late last night.

No comments: