Sunday, April 03, 2011

A First Glipmse of Brasília

From Lonely Planet Brazil: "With long distances and harrowing sixlane highways connected by spagetti junctions to negotiate, Brasíla is not really a city for walkers."


So what is the first thing I do on my first day in Brasília. I go for a jog in the morning and then for a walk in the city. And ok, I can agree on that this city was not built for walkers, but on the other hand, just because of the fact that there are no room for walkers (no side walks) you can walk everywhere. Between the above mentioned highways there are plenty of green spaces where you can walk and it beeing highways that you need to cross, means at least you only have to look out for cars coming from one direction at a time.

I don't really know what to say about my first impression this far. It is a very different city, it is fascinating and interesting and I think it might work, but I don't know if I will find anything charming and cosy about it. We will see. However some first impressions are at least that it is anything but crowded and there is lot of green. I knew that it would be nothing like Rio, but I must say I did not expect it to remind me more about Harare that Rio.


Here are a few glimpses from my first walk in the city.





View from the Embassy district (one of them) towards Lago do Paranóa.





Flowers on a tree





One of the junctions





The Catedral Metropolitana





Inside the cathedral








Museu Nacional



No comments: