Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Global Shopping

When I was in Ethiopia last year I bought a dress that I haven’t used once since. One of the reasons I haven’t used it is that I haven’t found any shoes that goes with it. It is a somewhat special dress and requires special shoes. I have had a quite clear idea of what kind of shoes I would like, but just haven’t found any, even though I have been looking for them, more or less actively, ever since. So, last weekend when I ended up in one of the shopping malls here in Brasília I all of a sudden saw two pairs that might fit on display in a shop. I went in to try them on. With my poor skills in Portuguese I did only manage to get the shop assistant to understand that I wanted to see one of the pairs, not both and the ones she took out were not great on my feet. And as they were not very cheap I did not want to buy any without being sure that they would fit to the dress.

But since then I have been coming back to those shoes in my mind. As I have the dress with me here, I took it with me today and went back to the same shop. The other pair matched the dress perfectly! Almost on the verge of being an over-match, but having looked for so long I could not not buy them once I found them. They did not have them in the size I asked for but strangely the smaller size fitted, so I bought them. I find it very amusing that I now have an Ethiopian dress and Brazilian shoes that look as they were made for each other.

On the other hand I would be surprised if you could not find shoes here to go with anything. There are a LOT of shoe stores here and there are shoes in every colour and shape. I might have to send a suite case full of shoes home.

No comments: