Thursday, April 07, 2011

Not so luxurious

Just to make one thing straight. This post is not a complaint. I only want to show that a posting like my present doesn’t automatically mean a life in comfort and luxury.

To answer some questions that were put to me before I came here; No, I do not live in a big villa, and no I do not have a full set of house maids and gardeners etc (until yesterday I didn’t even have a vacuum cleaner). Yes, there is a pool and a tennis court, but on the compound and not in my garden. My place is just off the parking lot and “my garden” is about 2X2 metres. I don’t know exactly how big my apartment is, but I think it is best compared to a student’s apartment for two students. That means there are two more or less identical bedrooms, a bathroom, a small kitchenette and a narrow living room, that is actually an extended terrace opening out to the 2x2 m garden. It is all ok, what is not so good however is that the whole apartment is basically lacking windows. The door out to the garden is a glass door, but that is basically the only source of natural light. It means the place is very dark and isolated as there is no way where you can look out of the apartment. My first impression when I saw it was that no Swedish architect can have constructed this, no Swede would ever build a place for human habitation without windows. Later I found out the architect of the whole complex is indeed Swedish, but I gather this extended terrace/living room was not part of the original plan. Or he just had a bad day.

In the kitchen I have exactly; four plates, three glasses, four mugs, four knives, four forks, tree tea-spoons, one cutting knife, one frying pan and one cooking pot, one jug and one plastic bowl. That is all. It might be all fine if you are just staying here for a couple of days or a week maybe, but for six months it might be just a little too meagre. It is not much you can or want to cook in that kitchen. I have now arranged for a vacuum cleaner, an iron and ironing board and also got a new TV (although I still haven’t managed to get the connection to the satellite dish working) which all are huge improvements to the place. However I have not managed to do something about the smell in the wardrobes so I can only hope that my clothes wont catch too much of that rather pungent smell.

So, as I begun, I don’t want to complain and I hope there will be a chance to change housing after a while, because this place is rather depressing. What I want is just to show that it is not all that luxurious.

No comments: