Wednesday, October 12, 2011

International Table Manners

Travelling is learning. Not only big things, but also the small little details.

Never having really been to South America before of course I had a lot to learn, and still have, but exactly because of this I treasure the small details I have learnt during this time. Like knowing how to tell a Brazilian couple apart from other couples in a restaurant. Well, I have to admit this is not something I have discovered by myself, but it was actually pointed out to me by a Brazilian with international outlook.
He pointed out to me that whereas it for me and for most people I know it is natural that you sit opposite your partner if you go to a restaurant, to be able to see each other's faces, Brazilian couples prefer to sit next to each other (to be able to touch and snog?). At first I thought he was joking, but having paid attention to it I have to say it seems to be a fact. Here in Buenos Aires I have noted it is a safe way to spot Brazilian tourists.

No comments: