Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Money, Credit Cards and Bureaucracy

From Sweden and also from Brazil I have gotten very used to paying everything I consume with credit card. Here in Argentina, you can pay a lot by card, but it seems they really prefer to have cash payment. The prefer it that much they will in most places give a 10% discount if you pay cash. However, by cash they are very flexible though, they will gladly except a number of currencies in one and the same payment. So, that's what happened when me and my friend were shopping for leather jackets. After having discussed the price for our three jackets some time (which of course was very long, since at least two of the involved were Brazilians) and agreed on what we thought was a good price we were informed this price would not at all be valid if we were to pay by credit card. As we did not have that amount of pesos required, a new negotiation starts, on what this would be in differnt available currencies. After still some more time we finally paid in a mix of Argentinian pesos, US-dollars, Euros and Brazilian reais. The last missing amount I had to go and get from an ATM. Afterwards I was quite sceptic to whether it was such a good affair in the end, as I feared that the discount we negotiated so hardly for, might have gotten lost in the different exchange rates and finally in the fee for an extra cash withdrawal from the ATM, but my friend was still very positive and optimistic about it.

Another thing that I find a little annoying are those landing cards that some countries in this part of the world insist that you should fill in before entering the country. It just seems so completely useless. You basically just fill in the same information that is already in the passport plus which flight you come with, how long you will stay and where you will stay. I am sure no one really reads what you write on this paper. And I feel absolutely sure that no ones bothers to connect the information on these little paper slips with the electronically read infromation from your passport and also sure that no one ever checks whether the information you give about where you will stay in the country is correct or not. Nowadays most countries have electronically readable passports which means more and more information is allready stored on the entry of the country and if it is really that important I am sure it would be faster and more efficient for everyone if the immigration officers would just ask and add the information directly in the computor on entry. Because I really find it hard to believe they will collect all the little paper slips and enter the information later, most likely those slips will just be stored somewhere for a while and then thrown away.

The strange thing is also that they wont tell you what this slip is for and what you are supposed to do with the part that you get to keep. I have been told that in Brazil it is important that you keep it and leave it on exiting the country, but when I arrived in March i didn't get one and no one asked for it when I re-entered in June. That time I got a slip that I have keept but now, on leaving again in September no one asked for it and even though I had it I did not hand it over as it was not asked for. In Peru however I had to present the slip on checking in at the hote and also at buying some tickets. Just a good fortune I kept it handy. Now, on entering Argentina you had to fill in three papers, one they kept, on I suppose I will have to leave on leaving tomorrow, but the third, that was for the customs, no one asked for, so that one I still have. I am kind of glad they did not ask for that one, because it was very difficult to fill in. One question was whether you carry items purchased outside of Argentina. I mean, as I had never been to Argentina before, it means everything I had was purchased outside of Argentina, but I am not sure they would want me to declare that anyway...

No comments: